2:00 pm - 5:00 pm THE ROLE OF PROPAGANDA IN VIOLENT EXTREMISM AND HOW TO COUNTER ITAlexander Ritzmann, Member of the Steering Committee ,European Commission’s Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN)
Alexander Ritzmann, Senior Policy Advisor, European Foundation for Democracy
Alexander Ritzmann is a Senior Policy Advisor at the European Foundation for Democracy (EFD) in Brussels, Belgium, and a Senior Research Fellow at the Brandenburg Institute for Society and Security (BIGS) in Potsdam, Germany. He is also co-chair of the European Commission’s Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN) Communication and Narratives (C&N) Working Group. From September 2012 - December 2015, Alexander worked as Senior Advisor MENA Region and Project Manager for GIZ, the German Development Cooperation, based in Cairo, Egypt.
Alexander has also lived and worked in Berlin, Brussels, Beirut, Jerusalem, Ramallah and Washington D.C. In 2007 he was a DAAD-Fellow at the American Institute for Contemporary German Studies (AICGS), Johns Hopkins University, in Washington, DC.
From 2001 - 2006 Alexander was a member of the Berlin State Parliament, overseeing the state police and intelligence agency, focusing on homeland security and data protection issues. He received his Master’s degree in Political Science from the Free University Berlin in 2000.
14:00 REGISTRATION AND COFFEE
14:30 PRESENTATION - THE ROLE OF PROPAGANDA IN VIOLENT EXTREMISM AND HOW TO COUNTER IT
· What is Propaganda
· How does Propaganda work
· The Role of Ideology in Propaganda
· The Limits of Propaganda
· How to Counter Propaganda and Promote Alternatives
Alexander Ritzmann, Executive Director, European Foundation for. Democracy (EFD)
15:00 ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS
· Selecting the right partners for preventing and countering extremist propaganda
· Understanding the communities in question
· Characterising the communities at risk and developing counter narratives that appeal to these communities
· How focusing on hard measures might even have fostered radicalisation
· Knowledge sharing initiatives for counter narrative creation
· Terrorist propaganda and the responsibility of the media
17:00 WORKSHOP LEADER CLOSING REMARKS AND END OF WORKSHOP
Alexander RitzmannMember of the Steering Committee
European Commission’s Radicalisation Awareness Network (RAN)